Originally Written here
This is a traditional Malayali desert.
Expected time: 30 minutes
- Milk: 750mL
- Sugar: 2 Tbsp
- Rice: 2.5 Tbsp
- Ghee: 0.75 Tbsp
- Cashew: 50 grams
- Cardamom: 1 tsp
- Melt the ghee and saute the rice and cashew in it for 1.5 minutes on high flame.
- Pour the milk, add sugar and cardamom and cook on low flame until rice is well cooked.
- Stir continuously.
- Add water to regulate the consistency.
- Once the rice is cooked, use your ladle to mash the rice to thicken the mixture.
- Take off the flame and serve hot.
- Add a handful of rose petals a minute before you take off the flame to garnish the payasam.