Recipe: Mongolian Beef
Preparation time - 1 hour
Cooking time - 10 minutes
- Beef flank - 1 pound
- Corn starch - 1/2 cup
- Olive oil - 1/2 cup
- Scallions - 5
- Soy sauce - 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar - 3 Tbsp
- Ginger - grated - 1.5 tsp
- Garlic cloves - 4 grated
- Roasted red chilli - 10
- Cut the beef into thin slices
- Marinate the beef for 1 hour with 2 Tsp corn starch, 2 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp soy sauce
- After one hour add the remaining corn starch and mix it until the beef is coated with a thin layer of corn starch.
- Now in a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup of hot water, 3Tsp of brown sugar and the rest of the soy sauce. Mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Cut the scallions into 1 inch long pieces along the diagonal.
- Grate the ginger and garlic
- Now on a wok, heat 1/3 cup olive oil on high heat and add the beef. cook for 1 minutes, then flip the beef and cook for 30 seconds. The beef should be very crispy at this point.
- Remove the beef to a flat pan while leaving 1 Tbsp of oil in the wok. Drain the remaining oil from the beef by tilting the flat pan.
- Add ginger and chilli to the wok and roast for 20 seconds, now add ginger and mix for 15 seconds, now add the sauce prepared in step 4 and the remaining corn starch from the beef and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add beef and scallions to the wok and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve hot alongside steamed rice.